Noticed white, thick, grey discharge from vagina. What am I suffering from?

Mar 2013
I have a white thick, kind of gray discharge coming from my vagina. Its always flowing and smells kind of fishy. What do you think it is? If its been there so long it turn yellow or green. I am African American.
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 24 minutes later

You seem to be having vaginal infection.
There are various types of vaginal infection , but the common ones are ;
1. fungal ( yeast or candida ) - the discharge is thick, curdy, whitish, with plaques. Predominantly there is a lot of itching and redness.
2. bacterial - discharge is clear, grayish and smells fishy
3. Trichomonal ( a parasite ) - discharge can be greenish, frothy .

At times, the infection can be mixed wherein there are more than one elements present.
You seem to be having a mixed vaginal infection.
Please consult a gynecologist.
She would examine you internally, take a culture and swab of the discharge to confirm the diagnosis and then prescribe antibiotics or medications accordingly.

For general pointers -
Maintain perineal hygiene.
Do not overclean, rub or douche vigorously. Clean private parts with plain water.
Avoid use of medicated or perfumed soaps, cleansers, tissue paper, tampons, allergic condoms etc.
Use cotton non allergic underwear.
Avoid prolonged dampness or wetness .
Have safe sex.

take care, and feel free to discuss further.