Noticed white spots in throat. Is this a sign of an illness?

ENT Specialist
What could cause white spots in throat (no pain at all no discomfort or other symptoms)
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query regarding white spot in throat without pain, fever and cough etc.

Here I would like to tell you that such white spot without any symptoms are fond in these situations.-

(a) Tonsillar cyst- Here white spot in on the tonsil only.

(b) Leukoplakia- This is because of chronic irritation, infection, prolong use of tobacco, habbit of taking very hot food etc.

To manage this through examination of throat is necessary and for leukoplakia biopsy becomes must for treatment.

Follow-up: Noticed white spots in throat. Is this a sign of an illness? 4 hours later
Does it look very bad? I was told it could be chronic granular pharygnitis caused by my stomach or allergies. Is this possible?
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 8 hours later

Welcome again in H.C.M. for clarification of your doubts.

You named two diseases of throat,but these two are not asymptomatic. Here I would like to tell you in brief about these-

(a) Chronic grannular pharyngitis- As its name indicates it develops due to prolong mild to moderate infection going on in the pharyngeal area thus submucus lymphnodes of pharyngeal wall gets enlarge and gives grannular look of pharyngeal wall.Here patient always complaints that he feel something in the throat which he can't spit out even lot of efforts of cough.
Patient always complain about dry cough.

(b) Pharyngeal irritation due to stomach problem is called as GERD (Gastro esophageal Reflux Disease). Here along with throat problem ( i.e. feeling of lump in throat ),patient also have symptoms of hyperacidity like retrosternal burning and of gastric disorder.

Therefore if you don't have any symptoms other than a white spot so these two possibilities are unlikely.If you are having any more doubts than thorough examination of throat will be necessary.Therefore it will be better to take second opinion of any XXXXXXX ENT specialist.

Follow-up: Noticed white spots in throat. Is this a sign of an illness? 2 hours later
Could these be warts ?
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 12 minutes later

Thanks for reconsultation about clarification of your query.

Warts are pedunculated outgrowth, and this can be confirm by clinical examination only, so nobody can verify it by photograph.So it is my suggestion to get yourself examine by any XXXXXXX ENT specialist to finalise the diagnosis.

Follow-up: Noticed white spots in throat. Is this a sign of an illness? 13 minutes later
But you do they resemble them or do they look differently ?
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 35 minutes later

You have asked about WHITE SPOT in throat while WARTS are PEDUNCULATED OUT GROWTH. If your throat is clean (means no saliva or any slough is covering it partially) Than one can suspect about it , this depends on past experience of examinor.

During Examination we do three things-

(1) Inspection- Means how it is looking.

(2) Palpation- Means information get in inspection are varified by touching it and pressing gently.

(3) Percussion- Here we tap it gently.

(4) Auscultation- This is not for intraoral pathology. this is done to know about vascularity of lesion in other part of body.

Thus now you can understand the problem of taking decesion on the findings of inspection only. It demands lot of experence and it can't be answer by getting least information as just white spot.To diagnose it properly we should have findings in all above headings.