Noticed white specks in stool, have itchy anus and abdominal bloating. What could this be?

General Surgeon
I have noticed in my stools that when I wipe I have from time to time these white grained shaped or kidney shaped pieces in my stool. I poped one and mucus came out. I also have been experiencing itching around my anus and fullness or bloating in my abdomen. What could this be?
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 54 minutes later
The Content of the stool depends on the food you eat.

White grain shaped piece in your stool can be due to Tapeworm infestation. Tapeworm may leave the body with stool. As it has number of segments, you may feel the shed segment in the stool as white speck. You have to take drugs like Albendazole or Praziquantel, which eradicate tapeworms. But, this infestation is rare in US,but it may occur if you have lived in or visited foreign countries.

Bile flows into the Digestive tract from the Liver to aid in digestive process. This bile has been reported in colors of Brown, XXXXXXX white and commonly yellow. The white substance in your stool can be White bile. This is another possibility.

As you are having fullness/bloating of abdomen and itching around anus, it can be due to infective cause also.

Please take good broad-spectrum antibiotic, which contains Levofloxacin/Ofloxacin and Metronidazole/Ornidazole. These antibiotics have to be taken if the stool does not come to normal after treatment for Tapeworms.

You can add a PRE and PROBIOTIC for the above two prescriptions as the abdominal complaints like bloating/fullness may be decreased.

If there is no response from the above treatments, your stools have to be examined in the laboratory.

Wish you good health. Let me know if you have more queries.
Follow-up: Noticed white specks in stool, have itchy anus and abdominal bloating. What could this be? 9 hours later
Thanks for the response. Few other questions. Would i have minimal blood on toilet paper when i wipe. Almost fews like a cut at the top of my butt. Would i experience headaches with any of the above causes? What otc meds can i get with the above antibiotics in them?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 8 minutes later
Minimal blood on toilet paper when you wipe can be due to a fissure in Ano or a crack in the anal canal. It is a painful condition, more so when there is hard stool. Please apply a local cream in the anus which contains Nifedipine or Sucralfate. I am afraid these antibiotics are not OTC and need a prescription.
Meanwhile, drink plenty of fluids and take XXXXXXX leafy vegetables,fresh fruits for softening the stools. This would ordinarily not cause a headache. The commonest cause of headache is anxiety or stress. So just relax. You may like to try some yoga or meditation. If the headache still persist,you can take Tablet Tylenol 500mg thrice daily or as and when required
Hope that helps
Wish you good health