Noticed white skin on lower lips. Feeling uncomfortable. Could it be canker sores?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Good afternoon, I have what appears to be a white skin tag on the lower right side of my inner lip. It appears to be localized and not near any tooth structure. It came on very suddenly and appeas to be very large for this area of my mouth. It is not painful but it is uncomfortable because of the size of the ulcer or lesion. I have attached an image and am wondering if it is a canker sore or does it need to be biopsied?
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 1 hour later
Thank you for the query. I appreciate you for attaching the photograph of the area in question. The skin tag appears to be because of constant irritation at that region, it's usually fibrous in nature with firm consistency. It may be because of lip biting habit or rarely because of tooth irritating the region during rest position.
It is better to get it excised [excisional biopsy] so that you need not be uncomfortable. Excisional is simple procedure done with local anesthesia and recovery will be comfortable and fast.
Hope this answers your query; if yes kindly accept the answer. If you have any further clarifications to be asked you are most well-come.
With Happy regards,
Follow-up: Noticed white skin on lower lips. Feeling uncomfortable. Could it be canker sores? 42 minutes later
1 last question please is it possible that it might go away without having it excised?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 48 minutes later
Thank you for the question. It is not likely to resolve on its own, because it appears to be fibrous in nature. If it inflammatory origin, there is possibilty of resolving on it's own. It is better to get it checked physically by dentist once.

With Happy regards.