Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed white patches on penis and discolouration in semen. What is wrong?

Question
I am 73yrs old noticed a discolouration in my semen. I am genarally in good health, although a white patch has appeared on my penis, accomanied in early stages with an itch, It is not spreading and irritation has stopped. Arthritc, teated for heart didease..all clear
no asma or resitory problem.
Can you help? XXXXXX
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Sunil 4 hours later

Some variation in the color and consistency of the semen can be normal, especially as we age. However, since this is a new change for you, it needs to be evaluated. In particular, there are a few medical conditions that can change the color of the semen. One of these is a prostate infection, which tends to give the semen a darker yellowish color.

Other symptoms like burning or discomfort with urination or with sexual activity support prostate infection.Blood in the semen can also change the color,it can signal a broken blood vessel, which may result from the force of your ejaculation. If this is the case, the blood will usually subside after a couple of days.Blood may indicate number of things irritating the prostate, once again including infection of prostate or bladder but also occasionally a sign of a tumor in the prostate.

As you have also a white patch over penis shaft, STDs and fungal infections should be ruled out.
You should visit your treating doctor and get STD tests, urinalysis and urine culture. Prostate should be examined physically.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any question I will be happy to help.
Wish you good health.
Dr Sunil