Noticed white patches inside cheek. Concerned for mouth cancer

Spine Surgeon
I have been chewing for about 3 to 4 years. My gums are hurting and I notice a white patch, located inside myleft cheek. My dad has died from mouth cancer when he was 42...
Posted Sun, 13 Jan 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for sharing your problem with me. I am a surgeon and treat patients with cancer as well.
The white patch in the mouth could either be oral thrush- a fungal infection or earliest sign of something before turning into cancer( a pre-cancerous lesion)
This could be differentiated by clinical examination of your mouth and few tests.
So I urge you to visit your physician at the earliest
Hope I have cleared your doubt
thank you
Dr K K