Noticed white patches in tonsil area. Should I be worried?

ENT Specialist
Question
i am a very paranoid person and dont have any insurance and was looking in the back of my throat and i dont have tonsils anymore but i see some white to XXXXXXX colors where they use to be just wondered if i should be worried they arent sticking up or dont hurt been like that for a while could it be scars still after 2 years
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 21 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. This seems to be fibrosis (white) interspersed with areas of mucosa (tan) in the tonsil area. I am assuming that you have chronic tonsillitis. If you can upload a close-up image, it will help in confirming the diagnosis.

2. This is normal and not a cause for worry.

3. Once formed, fibrous (scar) tissue remains. Since two years have elapsed and there are no symptoms, you can rest assured that there is nothing amiss.

4. It is not clear from your description if you are planning to or have had a tonsillectomy already. What is the current status?

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Noticed white patches in tonsil area. Should I be worried? 28 minutes later
i have already had tonsils out 2 years ago so its normal to have some scar tissue or areas of white or XXXXXXX sorry just paranoid

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 16 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. This is the normal appearance of the tonsillar fossae (tonsillar bed) after a tonsillectomy. The healed mucosa (normal lining) appears XXXXXXX colored and the fibrous (scar) tissue appears white.

2. There is no cause for worry.

Regards.