Noticed white line on cheek of a child. What should be done for cure?

I have a son that is turning 2 in a weeks time. Yesterday we noticed that he has a straight white line on his left cheek that was not there before. It looks like the skin is supposed to be reddish there, but that line stays white, and does not change in color. What can this be
Posted Tue, 25 Dec 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Kruti 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. I will be glad to be of assistance.

I was able to view the picture sent. This could most likely be pityriasis XXXXXXX It's an eczema that is seen most commonly in children.

It's self resolving and usually doesn't require any treatment. You could apply a moisturizer like Vaseline petroleum jelly twice a day on it. Cortisone cream application on it once a day for five days can fasten the recovery process.

It will resolve slowly over a couple of weeks. Therefore you need not worry.

Hope my recommendations are helpful to you. Please let me know if I can address any other concerns for you.

Follow-up: Noticed white line on cheek of a child. What should be done for cure? 1 hour later
Thank you for the reply.

Eczema is something that itches, but this on this cheek does not look like it bothers him, it looks like it does not itch? Sorry I do not want to question your judgement, I just did not give you this detail.
Answered by Dr. Kruti 18 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

I value the information you have provided. However Pityriasis XXXXXXX does not itch.

You are right about eczema being itchy, but Pityriasis XXXXXXX is not itchy...

I suggest that you try the advised treatment and please let me know in ten days' time as to how it is. In case the line starts extending instead of improving in a week, I would suggest you have your dermatologist to look at it.

Hope this helps. Let me know you have any other doubts.
If you do not have any other concerns, please close this discussion. I will appreciate your feedback about this service.