Noticed white head on the tip of foliate papillae. What can this be?

ENT Specialist
Hi, I just noticed that on the tip of one of my foliate papialle it looked like a tiny white head is on it. What can this be? It doesn't hurt. Looks like a tiny round white head. I tried to squeeze it with but nothing happened
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 23 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. This seems to be a benign lump. Get it examined by an ENT Specialist or a Dentist.

2. There are many other causes for this tiny white head such as a tongue bite, taste bud hypertrophy, a small keratinization, papilloma or a scald due to hot liquids and so on.

3. The most common reason that the papilla looks white is that post an injury, the action of saliva make sit look white, just like apthous ulcers.

4. I do not recommend any treatment, apart from a local glycerine or anesthetic ointment.

I must emphasize that there is no cause for worry. Cancer at your age is a rare diagnosis.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further queries, I will be available to answer them.