Noticed white hairy patches in stool. Any idea what it could be?

Hi I had white hairy patches on my stool today. It kinda looked like mouldy patches on rotten fruit. It's the first time I've ever seen this. Any idea what it could be?
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
White mould like thing in the stools can be food matter, Steatorrhea (fat in stools), Cysts of worms, worms, and other foreign material. As you do not have any other associated symptoms, it is most likely a less concerning problem which doesn't need any medical intervention. However I would encourage you to consider deworming – it would take care of any worm / parasitic infestation. Your local physician can help you with the deworming process.
If the problem is persistent for more than 4 days then I would suggest you to send your stool to the microbiology lab for examination. They will do a microscopy and culture of the stools and give an idea as to the presence of different matters and substances in the stools.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.