Noticed white flecks in urine, urine burns and urethra feels irritated. Had PID earlier. Have I developed UTI?

Mar 2013
Hi, I'm a 20 year old female. I was living with my ex boyfriend for 6 months, and found out after we seperated that he was diagnosed and treated for chlamydia, but he did not finish the whole course of medicine given to him. When I found out, it was 3 months after we first slept together, so I went and got tested and sure enough I had chlamydia. At that point, I had also developed anorexia from the trauma of living with him, and I excused my symptoms as lack of food. I actually believe I had PID from the chlamydia, when I took the medicine I got a very bad temperature and a week after I felt okay again. My abdomen stopped feeling tender, and I think it was cleared up. It has been 2 months since I have been treated for chlamydia, and I feel perfectly fine again. Only, about 2 weeks ago I started getting white flecks in my urine again... Just like I had when I had PID. My urine burns a bit, and my urethra is irritated slightly. I had been out drinking very heavily that weekend, before these symptoms arose. I was wondering if the chlamydia may have done some damage to my bladder, and if the alcohol could have had some effect on my bladder lining. Or maybe it is possible that I have developed a UTI after finishing my antibiotics? I would hate to think that I still have chlamydia though, I don't have PID anymore, so I think it is gone. What are the chances the antibiotics didn't work? If if they didn't, would my symptoms of PID have cleared up so fast and later started to return? Thanks.
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: RECURRENCE WITH CHLAMYDIA LIKELY. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX Thanks for writing to us. Chlamydia is notoriously known as a " silent " infection. It is known for recurrence too. It silently colonizes the epithelium ( lining ) of the genital tract / anus / rectum / bladder and is known for causing compications. The white flecks and burning micturition indicate a urinary tract infection, and yes, chlamydia is more likely given the following substantiating facts - 1. Past history of infection, and feeling better after treatment of the infection. 2. Drinking - as alcohol aggravates the infection of Chlamydia. Please visit a doctor and have urine routine + microscopic examination / urine culture examination at the earliest. It would give a clue as to the offending organism. Also, a PCR testing of the vaginal swab / urine will confirm Chlamydial infection. You need to be retreated thoroughly if Chlamydia is confirmed. Most initial infections do clear up after antibiotics, and most women who are prescribed antibiotics at the initial outbreak , are followed up and tested after 3 months, as recurrence and reinfection is common, and maybe silent or asymptomatic. Do not ignore the testing and repeat treatment, as Chlamydia has dreaded effects on your reproductive system and overall health. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Noticed white flecks in urine, urine burns and urethra feels irritated. Had PID earlier. Have I developed UTI? 5 minutes later
So my chlamydia was not cured? I went to my doctor when I got treated and asked him if it would clear it up straight away and he said it would be safe for me to have sex 2 weeks after treatment, and that the antibiotics would definitely cure the infection. The reason he gave me for coming back and getting retested was to make sure that I didn't reinfect myself from my previous partner. If the chlamydia was not cured, why did my PID symptoms go away? Could it be that I have just developed a yeast infection? Or possibly my bladder is damaged in some way from having PID?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi again. There is a difference between recurrence and persistence. That particular episode of PID was cured by the antibiotic course, but chlamydial organisms can silently inhabit the epithelium of the genital tract, and then there could be a recurrence. That is why I asked you to get retested. Of course, you could have developed a yeast infection, but only a checkup will tell you what particular infection has occurred. Chlamydia can definitely colonize bladder epithelium leading to UTI, that too would be picked up on testing. Take care.
Follow-up: Noticed white flecks in urine, urine burns and urethra feels irritated. Had PID earlier. Have I developed UTI? 1 hour later
Okay, thanks. So, what you're saying seems to be that even though I was treated, it may not have got all of the organisms... I would think that recurrence would occur from being re-infected? If I still have chlamydia wouldn't that be a persistance. I'm a bit confused now. I just don't see why it would have been two months and then the infection recurred. I haven't had any other symptoms of chlamydia at all up until now. I will get retested anyway.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Yes, still having Chlamydia is a persistence, but not of the INFECTION, but the organisms that have the potential to infect you at any time. They ( Chlamydial organisms ) attach themselves to the cells that line the genital tract, and can remain silent for periods of time , after which they get activated ( stress, low immunity, alcohol etc ) and again cause an infection. That is not a persistence, but a recurrence of the infection. It is advisable to get retested. Take care.