Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed white dots on penis and having pain. Any relief?

Mar 2013
my penis is in so much pain and there are white dots or pimples
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 minutes later
The first thing to understand that it is quite normal for some men to have small whitish bumps on the shaft of the penis and/or at the base of the penis head.

"Fordyce's spots" are the small, raised, pale or white spots or bumps 1 to 3 mm in diameter that may appear on the shaft of the penis. They are common in men of all ages and a normal anatomical variation, meaning they are not a disease and perfectly harmless. White bumps on the testicles are commonly mistaken as a sexually transmitted disease, and cause undue worry. Most of the time it's the natural occurrence known as Fordyce's spots. Fordyce's spots are normal occurrences on the genital area. The typical spots are small, painless white spots or nodules located on the shaft of the penis or on the scrotum. There is no treatment needed for Fordyce's spots. In fact, lancing them or poking around them unnecessarily could lead to infection. It is due to overactivity of the sebaceous glands, and it sounds like this is what you have, with the description you give. However, these should not be so painful as you describe.

"Sebaceous prominences" are another variation of small pale or white spots that may appear on the shaft of the penis. They are caused by the hair follicle being close to the surface of the skin. Again, these are perfectly normal and harmless.

"Hirsuties papillaris genitalis" is another harmless anatomical variation with no malignant potential, this time appearing as small whitish bumps at the underside of the base of the penis head. They tend to be more common in uncircumcised men. Again, there is no need for treatment as there is nothing wrong if you have these bumps.

Another cause of small white bumps on the scrotum would be folliculitis or in lay terms, clogged hair follicles. This is an inflammation in the hair follicles which is known to be a cosmetic condition. This condition often is self limiting and resolves within a few days. However if infected, the condition may spread to other follicles.

Other causes could be sexually transmitted diseases, molluscum contagiosum ( viral infection ), contact dermatitis etc. These are more likely if you have been sexually active, and that too with unprotected intercourse, particularly with multiple partners.

However, these are differentials. Please remember that no diagnosis can be confirmed without an examination, so please consult your Physician, at the earliest, and do undergo STD testing if not already done in the recent past.

Meanwhile, a few pointers to help you :

1. DO NOT TOUCH THEM !! You might spread further infection.

2. Avoid Tight undergarments or undergarments made up of synthetic material . Avoid excessive perspiration, keep the genital area dry and maintain genital hygiene. Avoid sharing towels, clothes or wash cloths with anyone. Avoid shaving pubic hair too closely, as it increases risk of folliculitis.

3. If sexually active, always ensure it is protected sex, and you and your partner are completely tested.

4. Clean the affected part with antibacterial solution , such as benzoyl peroxide, twice a day to get rid of dead skin cells and keep the pores unclogged. Local application of diluted tea tree oil is considered to be very beneficial. Tea tree oil has strong anti microbial properties, which help in keeping the skin of the scrotum clean.

Hope this helped you.
take care, and feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Follow-up: Noticed white dots on penis and having pain. Any relief? 19 minutes later
hi thank you for your answer.
2 years ago I had unprotected sex, and the very next day i got symptoms on my penis, and when i searched about it i found out its herpes. After one month all was gone, so i dont know what i was thinking but i just never asked about it again. 2 weeks ago i realised i have 4 spots or pimples on my penis and its in pain, what shall i do
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 minutes later
Given the history that you describe, I suggest you consult a doctor at the earliest.
Genital herpes can flare up anytime, and it is possible that this is what has happened.
Please have proper testing and treatment for the same.
Thank you for the appreciation, and feel free to discuss further anytime.
Follow-up: Noticed white dots on penis and having pain. Any relief? 5 hours later
i cant treat it in the country I'm at for another month, what should i do tell then. please advise.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 hours later
You need to take OTC painkillers if the pain is severe.
Otherwise, you should wait until you consult your doctor, have a proper diagnosis for herpes and appropriate anti herpetic treatment.