Noticed white discharge from penis while passing stools. Normal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
hi,

I am a 35 years old male and I am observing a change in my body which I wanted to discuss with you.

When I pass stool in the morning I pass a white discharge from my penis and it has become quite often and I have been seeing this for months. it happens sometimes 3 times in the week.
Can you please suggest it is normal or I need to consult a specialist?

Thanks,
XXXXXX
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 43 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.
This isnt something uncommon and in most cases doesnt mean anything serious and isnt considered as a disease.
During the defecation,especially when straining or when having hard stool there can be prostate pressure which is in close contact with rectum. This can cause prostate secretion similar to semen but bit brighter. This is commonly found if having enlarged prostate or in congestive prostatitis. So you dont have to hurry but I suggest just do do prostate ultrasound and urine analysis to rule out urogenital infection, especailly if you have burning pain while urinating and pain in lumbar area or you suspect that white discharge is actually pus.
WIsh you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.

Follow-up: Noticed white discharge from penis while passing stools. Normal? 15 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks a lot for the response.

So which specialist I should be contacting? Uroglogist?
enlarged prostate or congestive prostatis are curable?

Thanks,
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Yes,you should visit urologist for such conditions. Of course you are too young for some serious prostate disorder,but try to find time to visit specialist just to be sure. ALso, even your GP can do basic urine analysis which can show signs of prostate and urinary infection so you can do this first and then consult urologist if there is some abnormality. This is easily curable by antibiotics and certain medicine for prostate hyperplasia.There is no need for any invasive treatment so you dont have to be concerned, WIsh you good health.

Follow-up: Noticed white discharge from penis while passing stools. Normal? 20 hours later
Thanks Doctor.
Can you please prescribe the urine test so that can get it done over this weekend?

Thanks,
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 5 hours later
Hi.
This is just basic urine alalysis, urine sedimentation test and urinoculture. This would show blood, bacterias or signs of feces in urine.
I forgot to say, you can do stool microbiological analysis too to check for some parasites and microbes which may not be seen without miscroscope.
WIsh you good health.

Follow-up: Noticed white discharge from penis while passing stools. Normal? 2 days later
Thanks Doctor. Will get the test done and share the reports with you for further guidance.

Thanks,
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
YOu are welcome. WIsh you good health.