Noticed white bumps on penis shaft after sex. Feeling sore and itchy. Having fatigue. Should I be worried? Herpes?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi, I had protected sex a week ago and have started to develop white bumps on the shaft of my penis. 2 days after sex, it was a little bit sore and itchy, but nothing too severe. Its been a week now and the white bumps are still there but it hasnt really bothered me too much. My biggest symptom is fatigue over the last week. Should i be worried i have herpes?
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Welcome to health care magic.
I have gone through your history and pictures.
You seem to having Fordyce' s spots on your penis. This is absolutely normal. They are basically slightly enlarged sebaceous or oil glands at an unusual location.( ectopic) .
They do not appear to be herpes. Herpes presents with multiple painful ulcers and swollen glands in your groin. If you are still in doubt, you could get a blood test to look for herpes antibodies.
So relax. And always remember yo use protection during sexual intercourse.
Hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Noticed white bumps on penis shaft after sex. Feeling sore and itchy. Having fatigue. Should I be worried? Herpes? 27 minutes later
Thank you very much for your response Dr, its really helped me relax a little bit. Just a few more questions...
Do these fordyce's spots pop or burst on their own? They aren't really getting bigger, but some of them have some white stuff on the tips of them.

Second question, is it normal that they started appearing after intercourse. I remember it was kind of hot in the room when we did it and we may have sweat a little bit.

As well, could this possibly be the beginning of a herpes outbreak? I mean can't they just get bigger and start to form ulcers?

Thanks for all your help again. :)

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 9 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
1. Yes, Fordyce ' s spots come on their own. They also spontaneously disappear but it is not possible to say for how many months they last. It is an absolutely normal part of your skin itself. They were probably there before, but you noticed them only after your recent inter course.Yes, they do appear like whitish dots. You could google for pictures just to compare .
2. Their appearance is not related to intercourse. As I said, you probably noticed them after that.
3. Herpes begins as small clear water filled bubbles which are associated with a significant amount of pain , especially if its your first episode. The blisters then turn into pus filled lesions which then burst into ulcers. If you are still worried, you could do a herpes antibody test to see for a rise in titres.
Hope this relieved your anxiety.
You could consult your primary care giver if you are anxious.

Follow-up: Noticed white bumps on penis shaft after sex. Feeling sore and itchy. Having fatigue. Should I be worried? Herpes? 11 minutes later
Hi again,
in the image 0840, don't they kinda look like pus filled lesions on the right side and water filled bubbles on the left or am i just paranoid?

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 4 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
I looked at your pictures very closely again.
They don't look like blisters or pustules at all.
Please Google for Fordyce ' s spots and look at a few images.
Relax.
But I strongly suggest you XXXXXXX your primary healthcare provider as you seem extremely worried.

Follow-up: Noticed white bumps on penis shaft after sex. Feeling sore and itchy. Having fatigue. Should I be worried? Herpes? 4 hours later
Hey doctor,
sooo my legs have been very weak in the last few hours, they feel sort of numb. I read this is a major symptom of herpes because it relates to the nervous system. I was calm for a few hours and now im back to my anxiety attacks

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 5 hours later
Hello again XXXXXXX
Pain along a nerve , numbness, tingling are all related to herpes zoster and not genital herpes. It is a totally different condition.
I feel you are suffering from venereophobia, which means fear of sexually transmitted diseases. Please try to relax.
I am again suggesting you do a blood test as I had mentioned previously . It will give you an objective evidence and remove your fears.
If not, at least XXXXXXX your primary care doctor.
Hope I have answered all your queries.

Follow-up: Noticed white bumps on penis shaft after sex. Feeling sore and itchy. Having fatigue. Should I be worried? Herpes? 11 days later
Hey how are you, its XXXXXXX again,
So its been 3 weeks now and the dots on my penis have not changed in size, shape and do not hurt at all. So you were right about that one :)

However, i have recently felt some tingling/soreness on the underside of my scrotum, it's not severe pain, but enough for it to be uncomfortable. I have uploaded a picture so you can have a look at it

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 32 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
I saw your pictures.
There is very minimal redness on the underside of the scrotum. It could be a mild scrotal dermatitis, which occurs due to friction, excessive scratching, etc. Otherwise, it looks normal. There are no signs of genital herpes. You could apply moisturizers or a mild steroid after consulting with your physician.
Hope this helped you.

Follow-up: Noticed white bumps on penis shaft after sex. Feeling sore and itchy. Having fatigue. Should I be worried? Herpes? 26 minutes later
Hey doctor,
You have really been a great help to me throughout these past few weeks. I really appreciate it as my GP did not show nearly as much concern for me and my problems.

Last question, i have clear watery discharge once in a while, does that have to do with anything? As well, could this be a fungal or yeast infection?

As well, the itchiness began during the middle of a soccer game.

Again, thanks for everything, I really do appreciate it :) Your going to get great reviews from me!

its sometimes itchy but it also feels like a burning sensation. sort of like a rash

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 24 minutes later
Hello again XXXXXXX
History of burning beginning in the middle of a soccer game and the watery discharge both suggest a frictional etiology. As I already mentioned before, it could be a mild dermatitis induced by friction or rubbing. Heat and wetness ( eg- during sports) can worsen the problem.
1. You could get a mild steroid cream prescribed by your GP.
2. Keep the area dry at all times.
3.You could also dust a bit of talcum powder after drying it so that the powder absorbs any moisture.
4. Avoid rubbing the scrotal area as it worsens the problem. If it is burning, apply a moisturizer which will give a soothing effect.
Hope this helped .