Noticed white bumps around lips. HSV 1 tested and negative. What to do?

Excellent
Question
I have a question regarding my lips.

I have noticed today some small white bumps around the bottom of my lower lip. I have never noticed these before.

I do not have a history of cold sores. In fact, I was tested 8 months ago and am negative for HSV 1 and 2. In total disclosure, I have kissed one person since then who says she does not have them either.

These do not hurt or sting and there was no tingling or burning in this area.

Just wanted to make sure these bumps are not the start of anything to worry about. Thank you for your time.
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us,

I will be glad to answer your query.

Thank you for posting your pictures here.

After thoroughly examining your pictures I can assure you that it is nothing to worry about.

The white bumps are absolutely normal, these are minor openings of sebaceous glands. These white bumps can be seen anywhere in or outside the mouth.

These white bumps are not at all related to HSV-1 or II.

I hope I answered your query.

If you have any further queries , kindly right back to us.

I wish you good health.
Take care,

Follow-up: Noticed white bumps around lips. HSV 1 tested and negative. What to do? 4 hours later
Thank you doctor.

I just wanted to make sure you were seeing the small pinhead sized white bumps on my lips and not the fordyce spots around them.

Also, I have noticed a few more bumps on my lips I would like you to view if you do not mind. They do not hurt to touch at all but I do not remember them always being there. They stick up off the skin of the lips just barely.

As you can see, I am a little paranoid about getting the HSV1 virus. I was tested last year negative and have only kissed one person since then. Today, I had my blood redrawn to check again after learning that person was not the most faithful. So now I am paranoid until the results come.

Thank you for your time viewing the photos.

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 47 minutes later
Thanks for writing back to us.

I would like you to know that after reviewing the pictures you posted here it is quite clear that the raised tiny bumps on the lips are not from HSV infection. The cold sores from HSV are very painful and have a crust over them.

These white elevations can be either from accidental lip biting or from continuous trauma from the teeth.

I can understand you being anxious about HSV. I will recommend you to see your dentist and ask him to prescribe topical ointment to be applied on the lip for the white elevations.

Do not worry you will be fine.

I wish you good health.

Feel free to post your further queries.

Follow-up: Noticed white bumps around lips. HSV 1 tested and negative. What to do? 26 minutes later
Is It Possible These Are Also Fordyce Spots? Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 13 minutes later
Thanks for writing back,
Yes, there is a possibility of white bumps being Fordyce’s granules but we cannot confirm it until examined clinically, but it is not a cold sore.
I would like to inform you to kindly keep a check on these elevations for any changes in size, color or shape. If you see any changes kindly see the dentist.
I hope the answers were useful for you to some extent.
I wish you good health.

Follow-up: Noticed white bumps around lips. HSV 1 tested and negative. What to do? 52 minutes later
Thank You. These bumps are all located within areas where there are clusters of Fordyce spots. the camera just did not pick up the clusters of them. But they are definitely located where there are other Fordyce. I have also been rubbing my lips a lot today. could that have made the bumps rise? And are you definitely 100 percent sure this is not very early stages of a cold sore Blister? Thank You

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 8 hours later

Continuous rubbing or biting the lip can cause thickening of the mucosa or even increase the size of the elevations - that are already present. Also cold sores are associated with symptoms like pain and redness in the area; in your case none is present which states that these bumps are not cold sores .

I hope I answered your query.