Noticed white bump with red and purple bruise coloured ring around forearm. Concerned

Nov 2013

My son is 17 and has a white bump, first noticed it yesterday, it is the size of a nickel with red and purple bruise colored ring around it on his forearm. The ring is about the size of the top of a small styrofoam coffee cup opening. no pain, no itch and does not recall hitting it on anything. Bump is a little firm.
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
Based on the description, there are three possibilities:
1. Insect bite
2. Low grade infection
3. Related to injury (however, I have noted there is no history of injury)
As of now, simple measures can be taken. Like applying anti-inflammatory creams such as diclofenac or ketorolac gels, twice a day.
If it starts to subside, there is no need to worry. If it persists or becomes larger, you may consult your GP.
I hope it helps. Please get back if you have more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM