Noticed water coming from eye of a 2 months old. What is the reason?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi Doctor,
My daughter is 2 months old and we observe that water coming from her left eye alone, what is the reason to it doctor ?
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 31 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query .
Please do not worry. It is most probably a very common condition called nasolacrimal duct blockage causing watering from a single eye.
Let me explain,
Tears normally drain from the eye through small tubes called tear ducts that stretch from the eye into the nose. A blocked tear duct occurs when the duct that normally allows tears to drain from the eyes is obstructed or fails to open properly. If a tear duct remains blocked, the tear duct sac fills with fluid and may become swollen and inflamed, and sometimes infected.
Blocked tear ducts occur in about 6 out of 100 newborns.A blocked tear duct that is present at birth is called congenital nasolacrimal duct obstruction.
In babies, the most common cause of a blocked tear duct is the failure of the thin tissue at the end of the tear duct to open normally.

Other less common causes of blocked tear ducts in children include:
Abnormal growth of the nasal bone that puts pressure on a tear duct and closes it off.
Closed or undeveloped openings in the corners of the eyes (puncta) where tears drain into the tear ducts.

Usually, the first symptom of a blocked tear duct is excessive tearing, ranging from a wet appearance of the eye to tears running down the cheek. Babies who have blocked tear ducts usually have symptoms within the first few days to the first few weeks after birth. If infection occurs in the eye's drainage system, you may see redness and swelling (inflammation) around the eye or nose. Also, yellow mucus can build up in the corner of the eye, and the eyelids may stick together.

Babies born with blocked tear ducts usually do not need treatment. Most blocked ducts clear up on their own by 1 year of age.
Antibiotics ( like moxifloxacin eye drops )usually are needed if signs of infection appear, such as redness, swelling, or yellowish discharge.
As of now you need not do anything , just keep the eye clean , wipe tears with clean cloth . Sometimes light massage with mothers finger tip running from babys corner of eye to the tip of nose might help in faster recovery.This can be done for five minutes several times in a day for eg whenever the mother takes baby for breastfeeding
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Follow-up: Noticed water coming from eye of a 2 months old. What is the reason? 18 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks, for your kind reply to my question. Doctor as you told we see the yellowish discharge also should we use the eye drops. Since from her birth the doctor recommend us to use the eye drop for a month to avoid any infection, right now we have stopped using it should we continue it.

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes you can continue to use it if there is persistent yellow discharge and sticky eyes or any redness or swelling .
If its just clear discharge not yellow or sticky then there is no need to use it further.
Also do remember to follow up with your doctor to reevaluate her if the condition worsens .
Otherwise you can use the eye drops for preventing infection as per your doctors advice.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly press the accept button in case you have no further queries.
Wishing your baby good health.