Noticed vitamin B12 and Vitamin D is lower than normal. Symptoms?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
My vitamin b12 and d is lower than normal what are symptoms can my fatigue and tummy upset be correlated
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Vitamins

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
List of symptoms below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read your query is detail.

The possible symptoms relating to Vitamin B 12 deficiency are
1. Chronic Fatigue
2. Weight Loss
3. Shortness of Breath
4. Tingling in Fingers and Toes
5. Forgetfulness and Confusion
6. Incontinence of urine
7. Tremors
8. Depression

Please note that the above are seen in severe Vitamin B 12 deficiency states

Vitamin D deficiency is a leading cause of osteomalacia, thinning of the bone, which is a precursor to osteoporosis.

You may correlate your symptoms from the above list and let us know if there are any specific problems that you need helps for.

Any further queries are welcome.
I hope this helps,
Dr. A Rao Kavoor

Follow-up: Noticed vitamin B12 and Vitamin D is lower than normal. Symptoms? 20 minutes later
Thanks i have fatigue breathing trouble and tummy upset.

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,
You are welcome and thanks for writing in with an update.

At your age, it is better to get complete general check up done if you are experiencing fatigue of breathing trouble. At your age of 55 years, it is good if you can get your heart checked (ECG and echocardiography) and some routine blood tests done. Some important blood tests include blood sugar, serum creatinine, lipid profile, liver and thyroid function tests.

A chest X XXXXXXX and ultrasound scan abdomen will also help to know if there is any problem in the abdominal organs concerning what you specify as tummy upset. You might also need to discuss about any stomach infection with your doctor and take antibiotics if necessary.

Any excessive alcohol use needs to be controlled. A healthy diet and fitness plan may help you.

Any further queries are welcome.
I hope this helps,
Dr. A Rao Kavoor