Noticed variable Beta HCG levels. Any suggestion?

I had a bHCG test yesterday and it was 149 today I had another one (suspected early miscarriage) and it was 145. I thought it decreased by half in a 24 hour period?
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
You are wrong that HCG levels drop by half in 24 hours after miscarriage.
This is an answer which varies broadly.
Some women report that after having a miscarriage or having an ectopic pregnancy removed, their HCG levels immediately went back down to around where they were before they got pregnant. Other women report however that their HCG levels remained elevated for an extended period of time. On average, the time period which women report tends to range from a month to a month and a half. Between 4-6 weeks, most women's HCG levels dropped back down to previous levels. 
I hope you are clear now.
Any further query is welcome.
Best of luck.