Noticed underarms and groin area are red and then turns purple. Have yellow toenails. Get infections and red eye. What to do?

i have some kind of viral disease, that comes on stronger at times, like in the spring. It occurs in my underarms, and groin area, looking initially pink or reddish, and eventually gets purple and the skin under my arms flakes off, in clumps sometimes. I have had anitbiotics at times for dental stuff , that totally clears it up for a while. I also have yellowed toenails, and some whiteish color under my fingernails. I sometimes get infections or red eye. It seems also to cause me joint pains, especially in my knees, sometiimes only one side at a time, and swelling of joints. I try antiacids, like baking soda, and sometimes this helps. I try to avoid too much beef, since this contributes to the problems of gouty type symptoms. The doctors I go to do not seem to even see it or pay attention, is that because there is no cure?

Do you advise some kind of antibiotic periodically when I get flareups. Dont know how to get my doctors to take this seriously, they say its just skin infections, wash, stay clean and it will go away. But it never is completely gone, except when I take some kind of antibiotics, don't remember what kind, several kinds seem to work ok on me in general I think XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 2 hours later

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to help you.

Sir, I went through your history and it seems that you are having a rash which is initially red and then changes to purple and then flakes off. Taking antibiotics does clear it off.

Most likely diagnosis is "Seborrheic Dermatitis" which is a common skin disorder that mainly affects your scalp, causing scaly, itchy, red skin and stubborn dandruff.

For treating it you may use over the counter antifungal antibiotic cream and take shower with zinc pyrithione or selenium sulfide shampoo will take care of that issue.

I understand your frustration about telling the same thing about staying clean. I know every keeps themself clean I would recommend your to use a shampoo with zinc pyrithione ( head & shoulders blue) which I prefer for my self too. It will take care of that issue of having the rashes.

When ever you have flare up you may use
1) "Derma E, " - )Tea Tree & E Antiseptic Cream, Soothing Skin Treatment)

2) Medline Remedy Antifungal Cream Targeted Treatment

Hope you get you are looking for in this answer. Please feel free to contact me in case of any further clarifications/ concerns.

Thank for the query.