Noticed uncomfortable severe pain in abdomen, no blood in urine and stools. Underlying cause?

General Surgeon
Hi - a couple of days ago I noticed a sharp uncomfortable pain in my lower abdomen in the centre whilst sitting up from lying down. I cannot recreate the pain by palpating the area it only is present when I squat down or twist whilst lying down. I have no sickness or other symptoms, no blood in my urine or stools.

The pain is very sharp and painful almost tearing when I push against the area or stretch the area by bending, squatting or twisting

The pain itself is just below my belly button above my pubic area slightly to the right.

Could I have pulled or strained something? Or is this something else?

Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pulled muscle seems most probable.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

If the pain has appeared after some physical activity, pulled abdominal muscle is the most probable reason. Especially if the pain is when you move specific part of your abdomen (just like you have described it). Such pain should be unnoticeable when lying down.
Other possible reason of your pain is abdominal hernia. Especially if you have had any abdominal surgery. Hernia usually gives a lump in the painful area which should be visible when standing and/or coughing.

I suggest you to do not overstrain abdominal muscles (avoid lifting heavy objects) and try Diclophenac 50 mg twice a day (should be taken with Omeprasole 20 mg once a day to protect your stomach). If the pain wont go away in few days, or there is any lump in pain area, you should have abdominal ultrasound done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.