Noticed tremors of the head and having headache. Should I be concerned?

I am a 50 y/o, white female, 189 lbs, 5'9" tall, non-smoker.
For the past 3 years, I have noticed (what I thought was) benign tremours of the head- mostly shaking as if saying 'no'. I noticed recently that the tremours are actually changing to a 'yes' motion as well as the 'no' motion. It is significantly worse if I ingest anything that is a stimulant like caffeine, or any medication that ends in '-ine' like anti-histamine, benedrine, codeine, etc.. Additionally, I feel like the movement of my neck is become restricted- tight, un-yielding and I have experienced increased frequency of headaches. Should I be concerned?
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 5 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Tremors of the head could signify a benign problem as well as an underlying neurological pathology. In your case, since the tremor seems to be worsening, and since you have additional symptoms like tighness, restriction of movement and headaches, I would definitely advise you to get a proper neurological evaluation done.

The possibilities could be essential tremors (common and benign) or Parkinson's (considering the neck muscle rigidity) or rarely, other neurological problems like cerebellar disorders, brain lesions, etc. Any tremor, benign or pathological is likely to worsen with stimulants like caffiene, etc.

I would suggest that you see a doctor, preferably a neurologist, for a detailed neurological examination and if necessary, further investigations. The earlier neurological disorders are detected, the better will be the treatment options. Even if it turns out to be a benign tremor, symptomatic treatment can reduce the severity of the tremors or prevent further worsening.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar