Noticed tiny pimples on scalp post dyeing hair, later swollen lymph node, low grade fever. Will it resolve on its own?

I had my hair colored, as I have for the last 20 years, about a week and a half ago. After that, I experienced a bunch of tiny pimples on the back of my scalp. They were very painful and eventually popped and crusted over and there are 2 in particular that are very tender to the touch. This morning, I woke up with a sore swollen lymph node on the right side of my scalp near the hair line at my neck. The two painful bumps are right near the lymph node. I have experienced a low grade temp of 99-100 today. Should I be seen for an antibiotic or is this something that should resolve in a few days? I haven't felt "well" in a few days as my hay fever is acting up. Don't know if the temp is related to the scalp issue or hay fever. Thanks!
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

The clinical picture you describe is very suggestive of an infection, probably a bacterial infection. These should be infected skin, which presented as pustules or pus containing bumps. It is important to know the lymph nodes in the body contain immune cells, thus an infection of an area in its drainage sector, usually causes a reaction, characterized by growth and mobilization of many immune cells, especially white blood cells to fight against the infection. This usually results in swelling.

The response to bacterial infection generally called an inflammatory reaction, in the process of release of immune mediators that lead to mobilization of white blood cells to fight infection, usually leads to the release of specific substances called pyrogens or fever inducing substances. This should be your case, and noticing fever should therefore not be considered unusual.

Prescription of an antibiotic and an anti pyretic or analgesic for fever and pain should be very sufficient. Common skin germs like Staphylococcus are taken into consideration during prescription and the dosage and duration of treatment shall be determined by your primary care physician, based on his clinical appreciation.

I therefore suggest you book an appointment with your family care physician.

Thanks and best regards as I wish you the best of health,
Dr Luchuo, MD.