Noticed thumb and finger numb. Have had operated for carpel tunnel. Worrisome

i am 70 and have noticed in the past week that my thumb and first two fingers of right hand have begun to have a numb feeling, i was operated on years ago for carpel tunnel, on both hands and have had no problem since till this.
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your question with diligence.
So, you had carpel tunnel syndrome in both hands and after surgery you are doing fine. I am still wondering what bilateral carpel tunnel syndrome has to do with congenital heart disease (the topic head you have chosen).
According to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), common causes of bilateral heredity, bilateral repetitive wrist and hand use, hormonal changes, age and other medical conditions. Bilateral carpel tunnel syndrome causes compression of both median nerves which had led to numb feeling feeling of numbness in fingers and thumbs of both the hands. Other medical causes which can simulate this neuropathy are:
1. Hypothyroidism
2. Diabetes
3. Vaculitis mononeuritis multiplex

There are various congenital heart diseases which are compatible with asymptomatic survival till this age, small ASD is commonest and absent pulmonary valve limited to few case reports are rarest.

Still the question is not clear to me. Please elaborate your question. Thank you

With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW