Noticed that voice has gone and throat hurts. Difficulty in swallowing and hard to breath. Help?

Voice suddenly gone and left side of throat hurts when I swallow feels hard to take breath
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later

Thanks for using XXXXXXX

Sudden loss of voice, pain in throat and breathing difficulty are most commonly seen due to trauma in the neck or presence of foreign body. I would like to know if you sustained any trauma recently or if there was an obvious foreign body aspiration.

In the absence of trauma or foreign body aspiration, throat infection is most likely cause of your symptoms. It would be worthwhile to consult an ENT surgeon for detailed evaluation. A direct and indirect largyngoscopy examination is in order.

In the interim, you can try salt water gargling and steam inhalation. They can be helpful.

Hope I answered your question. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries or doubts and I shall be glad to help you out.