Noticed tender nipple and sore bump below nipple. Have high blood pressure. What is going on?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a 55 year old male in good health and about 1 month ago I noticed a tender left nipple and a sore small bump below and under the left nipple. It comes and goes but is noticeable and sometimes moderateely painful. I just had a yearly physical and found out that I have high blood pressure and started taking Lisinopril/hctz for high blood pressure about the same time. I don't know if the two are related. Im very tempted to make an appointment and go back to visit the doctor next week. Any idea what might be happening?
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 32 minutes later
Sore nipple in males may be due to injury to the breast tissue like by pinching or accident that may cause soreness of breast, infection of the breast is called mastitis, but is rare in males and also associated with swelling and redness, Pain in the underlying muscles or ribs may be mistaken for sore nipples and also abrasion and also rough cloths that you are wearing.
The small bump below the nipple might be due to a superficial skin infection. The anti hypertensives that you have been taking are not likely to cause any such side effect.
You can try to eliminate the soreness by wearing light cotton clothes that will not rub against your nipples. Apply a lubricant like baby oil or any moisturizer over the nipples.
Consulting your physician for a direct examination will be helpful in specific treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.