Noticed swollen veins and bruise in hands. Hurts to touch. What could be this?

Hello there, I've been having a very odd issue with veins in my hands here recently. It happened to my left thumb on 3 separate occasions today, and twice in my pointer finger on the right hand previously. The best way to describe it would be the vein twists and kinks, then starts to swell. (Think garden hose when you stop it by twisting/crimping with your hands). It hurts instantaneously, and leaves a very tender bruise. While it was swollen, it looked like a very small, dark red grape perched on the side of my finger- similar to a blood blister, but it deflated immediately upon releasing the twist. Coincidentally (?), both of these swellings happened to be right next to a knuckle.

Thank you in advance,
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 7 hours later

The description is good but it was not clear for me. Can you please send the picture of the bruise.? If it is a tense red blister it is most probably come from the layers of the skin. A bullous lesion perhaps. This needs an investigation to understand the cause. After the cause is known we will be able to treat it. Most lesions like what you had described would be treated with a steroid. Since there is a history of hay fever or seasonal allergies I also could think of immunological disorders.

I would suggest you to visit a local Primary care and get the fluid aspirated and tested. You need complete blood count to start with.

Hope this helps as a first hand information.