Noticed swollen upper lip and yellow discharge after smoking meth. How to treat it?

My roommate has been smoking meth and now his upper lip is swollen and has a yellow discharge. Is there some way to treat his lip?
He also smokes cigarettes.
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 52 minutes later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Regular substance use like meth is associated with decrease immunity of body to fight infection. Yellow discharge is pus. From your description it appear that he has developed infection of upper lip. Infections usually associated with swelling due to accumulation of pus and inflammation.

Upper lip share blood flow (venous drainage) with brain. So, there is always risk for spread of infection to brain with upper like infection.

Following steps will help him:
-Stop meth use.
-Take healthy diet and fruit juice.
-Let the yellow discharge flow on its own.
-Meet physician, so that antibiotic can be started early.
-If pain is there, he can take some analgesic.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Noticed swollen upper lip and yellow discharge after smoking meth. How to treat it? 10 minutes later
Well as it is now winter weather here in Canada his lip is cracked and has a chemical burn look as well as being painful. Is there any cream or medicated ointment that you can suggest to help with this condition?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 8 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

He can use any antiseptic cream (like borolin or boroplus) available in your area. But primary treatment will be according to steps, as advised in primary reply.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.