Noticed swollen, red and bruise spot on thigh. Looks like varicose veins. Should I go for test for check up?

Jan 2013

I asked a question 4 days ago when a spot on my inner, upper right thigh was suddenly showing signs of bruising, swelling and redness. There was a specific point of pain that seemed to have a couple bumps under the surface, that seemed different than my varicose veins. I saw a local physician who quickly gave me antibiotics and sent me away but I am concerned that there is a clot there - the physician didn't seem to be concerned about getting it checked. Is there a way I can see the local specialist or get an ultrasound if I don't have a referral? Am I being overly concerned? I don't have much time to wait in an office bc I have 5 kids under 4yrs.

Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 10 minutes later
1) Do you have local injury?
2) If no, then there is possibility of abscess at the inner aspect of right thigh. Presence of bruising, swelling and redness also favors the possibility of abscess.
3) Yes, its true..antibiotics are the only treatment for this situation.
4) You should consult with physician/ surgeon. Surgeon may do incision & drainage, if needed.
5) In case of simple abscess, there is no need of Ultrasound imaging. USG may be advised by physician/ surgeon once the possibility of abscess has been ruled out.
6) Varicose veins doesn't cause local swelling, redness because in such case swelling of right leg also occurs so the possibility of varicose veins is negligible.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Noticed swollen, red and bruise spot on thigh. Looks like varicose veins. Should I go for test for check up? 1 hour later
Sorry I didn't give more details - the skin is not broken, and people keep telling me I probably have a clot and should check it out so it doesn't cause a stroke. That's my only concern, I don't want a potential clot to break free and cause problems. Should I be concerned if it is a clot? Should I push to go get an ultrasound and see another doctor ASAP?

Thanks for your time,
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 18 minutes later
Clot at any level in body cause obstruction of blood flow and cause swelling of lower limb, which is not applicable in your case.
So considering your all details, your problem appears to be abscess not a clot.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava