Noticed swollen lymph node on groin area, red bump on labia majora. How to remove this?

I am concerned. I first noticed a tender area (possibly a lymph node) on the right side of my groin area about 2-3 days ago. Then last night I noticed a bump on my right labia I trimmed the area so that I could better inspect it. I found there to be 4-5 small raised, slightly red bumps on my right labia majora. I am not sure if these two are connected. The bumps are smaller than a pea size, very localized and don't seem to have hair growing from them or any type of "head" on them. They are slightly tender to palpation.
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 34 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Thank you for the picture. It is not the greatest resolution but your description is extremely helpful. Is there even the slightest sense based on your inspection of the area that there are blisters or clear fluid within these bumps?

Thank you.
Follow-up: Noticed swollen lymph node on groin area, red bump on labia majora. How to remove this? 1 hour later
I suppose there could be but when i squeeze them nothing comes out, it just hurts. I find it odd that it is only on the right side, the same side with the tender node (I think), do you think these two are related or totally seperate? What could it be?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for the followup.

Here are my thoughts:
1. This could be a component of folliculutis - though I agree that it is odd that it is only on one side and you do not see any hairs in the bumps. Though this might be high on the list of possibilities
2. This could represent a localized yeast infection, though this usually would present with red raised skin with the bumps 'connected' within the redness
3. This could represent a viral infection that would include either herpes or 'shingles'. Shingles is related to the chicken pox virus. The lymph node outside of the area suggests something viral.

Here is what I would recommend:
1. I would schedule a visit with an OB/GYN to take a look at this in person
2. While waiting for the visit (which should be as soon as possible before it changes) you could apply topical hydrocortisone cream
3. Avoid any sexual contact with other persons until this is sorted out.

I would not panic too much. It does not seem obviously like any specific cause, and I think that seeing it in person will help immensely.