Noticed swollen lymph node on back of neck. Pain in shoulder, burning throat. Chest x-ray normal. Concerned

Jan 2013

My symptoms started with a strange feeling between two of my ribs on the right side, about mid-breast bone (right near the breast bone). It started as a feeling that something was in my lungs like mucus when you're sick, and if you were to cough, it would clear it out. I then noticed a few swollen lymph nodes on the back of my neck. This was in Febuary 2012. The pain would sometimes radiate to my right shoulder and be a sort of an ache. About a month after this, I started to feel a sensation of something on in the right side of my throat. It wasn't constant, but if I pushed a little on the point of pain in my chest, I could recreate the sensation in my throat. Now that it's August, I believe that I have a swollen tonsil on my right side and the throat sensation is a little more pronounced with a burning sensation occasionally. The doctors did a chest xray and chest CT scan, both of which came back normal. They also did blood work that all came back normal as well. I should mention that I take Nexium, so I don't believe it to be acid reflux related. I also smoked cigarettes for about 10 years, recently quit. I am a 29 year old Male.
I also forgot to mention, the lymph nodes under my right arm seem to hurt when the area in my chest is acting up. This is the rarer of all symptoms, but it does happen.
Posted Sat, 1 Sep 2012 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 8 hours later

Presence of lymph nodes with pain on right side of chest and mid chest pain indicates involvement of lungs/ esophagus/ and some abdominal organ.

As you have mentioned that your chest x XXXXXXX and CT scan was normal, then other possibilities should be searched out.

Although you are taking nexium but still you are at risk of reflux disease.

do you have any difficulty in swallowing?

You may have Esophageal pathology such as growth, viral ulcer, reflux induced ulcers.

You may have gall bladder pathology as disease in gallbladder may cause pain in right rib cge and pain on right shoulder.

You should consult with physician and go for endosocpy, ultrasound imaging and CT scan abdomen if needed.

You should also go for FNAC/ excision biopsy of lymph nodes.

Put your query if you have.

Best regards,

Dr. Mayank Bhargava