Noticed swollen lips and hives. Not cured by benadryl and cortisone shot. Side effects of prednisone?

ENT Specialist
I woke up with swollen lips and hives wednesday morning and am still not over it in spite of benadryl and cortisone shot. I have started on a 9 day cycle of prednisone today. I cant think of anything that could be causing this to happen to me and I am concerned about the side effects of prednisone:(
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The sudden onset of lip swelling and hives could be either due to allergic reaction to some insect bite/food taken previous night or secondary to angioneurotic edema.

Do not worry; this is a transient phenomenon which will subside within 3-4 days. Please do continue with the prednisolone and bendaryl. Prednisolone helps in reducing the swelling whereas the benadryl is effective in reducing the allergic component involved.

You can also try using glycerine (it is hygroscopic - reduces the size of the swelling) over the lips and calamine lotion (reduces the irritation) and a steroid cream (such betamethasone) over the skin lesions.

Hope I have answered the query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon