Noticed swollen eyelid, there is no redness. Should I go for urgent cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I woke up this morning to my eyelid being swollen shut, there is no rednes, itching, or pumps, however, I have had a bump above my eyelid that retained fluid (maybe a ingrown hair or pimple) for a week nad the area around it is hard as a rock and is sore. Should I go to the urgent care center or keep applying hot compresses?
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
It seems that you are having an infected gland on your eyelid. Since your lid is so swollen that your eye is shut, it needs systemic antibiotics and local topical antibiotic drops to control the infection.
Applying the hot compresses will help but it is necessary to consult an ophthalmologist for a thorough examination and proper medications.
Avoid touching, rubbing or staring at the swelling. Staring at the swollen eyelid will only lead to touching and rubbing, so stay out of the mirror and avoid the temptation.
Avoid wearing make-up, including powders and base. Particles can fly through the air and irritate your eyelids even more.
Attending an urgent care center is recommended.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.