Noticed swollen eye, red and puffy nose. Took benadryl. What is the problem?

I woke up this morning with a swollen eye -- red and puffy toward my nose. Used a couple drops of Elestat, a cold compress and took Benadryl. Eye has gone down -- although it looks like I've been crying. Now my cheek is looking red and welted. This happened to me one month ago -- other cheek but eye wasn't involved. I do have allergies and they've been bothering me but not enough for this kind of reaction -- although last couple days I wasn't taking Zrytec regularly. Is this a Fall allergy that I just have to stay on top of? Anything else I can do or should watch for?
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
From your description it seems to be an allergic eye reaction. You have managed it well by taking an anti allergic and doing a cold compress. You can apply local decongestant eye drops also for an earlier relief.
It usually takes 3-5 days to subside. Do watch out for any discharge from the eye and any itching which might be indicative of an eye infection.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.