Noticed swelling stretching from behind the ear to neck. Inflammation on tongue. What could this be?

ENT Specialist
I noticed a swelling stretching from behind the left ear to neck. What could this be? Also I noticed that tongue has some inflammation too.
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Secondaries in the neck.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query and images.

==> According to images- patients are not in condition of questioning but I am giving the answer as considering patient asking the query to me.

It suggests that you may be suffering from the secondaries in the neck because old age female on ryles tube with diffuse swelling on left cervical region.

Blood clots present on the right side of the tongue with diffuse inflammation.

History, ENT examination with some investigation should be complete to reach the near diagnosis.
1. Panendoscopy such as direct laryngoscopy, oesophagoscopy, nasal endoscopy and bronchoscopy.
2. X XXXXXXX chest PA view and X XXXXXXX soft Tissue Neck
3. USG of the neck swelling.
4. CT scan of the Neck and
5. If require then you may go for FNAC of the neck swelling.

If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.
Follow-up: Noticed swelling stretching from behind the ear to neck. Inflammation on tongue. What could this be? 3 hours later
Hi, The patient is my grandmother. She was bedridden for long. Is it infection of some kind? Has the infection spread a lot?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
cervical abscess is worth ruling out

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up query.
I have gone through your follow up query.
Your grandmother may have differential diagnosis of a cervical abscess (infection) but to rule out this, you may go for above mentioned test for better diagnosis. Depending on the type of infection we can determine if it had spread or not.

Wish your grandmother for better health