Noticed swelling, stiffness and pain in thumb after taking rocephin for dog bite. What should I do?

I was bitten by my dog on my forearm and thumb over two weeks ago. I visited the ER to get it cleaned and checked. I was given a shot of an antibiotic and put on Keflex 500mg. Five days after the incident, I visited an emergency clinic because I still had swelling, throbbing, and pain in my thumb. I was given a shot of rocephin and started a full ten days of oral antibiotics (amoxicillan 875mg). I have seen improvement in my forearm, but not as much improvement in my thumb. My thumb still has some swelling, aches some, is stiff, and is also red. There is some swelling. Do I need to get it rechecked by my gp?
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Cellulitis is most likely Detailed Answer: Dear Friend Thanks for writing to us. It seems from your query that you developed local cellulitis on your forearm. You were prescribed amoxicillin for this. It has a good coverage for cellulitis infection , but in case it's not improving , a change in antibiotic is required. Since you say you have improvement in your forearm but not in thumb, it would be a good idea to see your general physician. If needed antibiotic can be changed. I always add a combination of NSAIDs + Serratiopeptidase in such situations which help a lot in relieving pain and swelling. You may discuss with your doctor about adding that drug. You have not mentioned about rabies vaccination , I suppose you must be receiving it. I hope I am able to solve your query , still if you have any query please ask me , else close the discussion and rate it.
Follow-up: Noticed swelling, stiffness and pain in thumb after taking rocephin for dog bite. What should I do? 1 hour later
I was up-to-date on my tetanus from October 2012 and did not get a tetanus shot. Also, I did not receive a rabies vaccine. The dog was my personal pet that was enclosed in a backyard with contact only with our other dog and the occasional squirrel in the trees. His rabies booster vaccine was five months past due. I did not feel that he was exposed to any factors that would have caused rabies. The attack was due to my removing a food item away from what he felt was his space. This was not the first issue I had had with him being aggressive concerning food. Should I be concerned about rabies? The ER doctor nor our vet felt it was a concern. The dog has been euthanized.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Cellulitis is of more concern to me Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. If your dog had been vaccinated properly , i don't think it's essential to get rabies vaccination. However , since the dog has been euthanized , i can't even ask you to keep a check on him. Usually we ask to because , usually within 10 days , the rabid dogs shows more symptoms and even die. Since you are sure , and your physician is sure , it's should not be a problem. But , you need immediate attention to this cellulitis. So, discuss once again with your doctor and consider a change of antibiotic and addition of drug i mentioned. Get Well soon If you don't have any query , please close the discussion and rate it