Noticed swelling, pain and discoloration around wrist after plaster cast. Is this normal?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I broke my wrist ulna and radius 2 days ago and had a plaster cast put on by a doctor. My hand has continued to swell and discolour and is very painful. Is this normal and when can I expect feel less pain. I am 65 year old female. Email - YYYY@YYYY Thank-you
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is not normal. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. After plaster cast, some swelling is expected.So it is advised to elevate the limb and active finger movement to decrease the swelling. As you had said that it is continued to swell and discolor and is very painful, means plaster cast is too tight and hampers the circulation. It is not normal. You have to report immediately in emergency room for splitting of plaster cast to remove any pressure point. Hope this helps you . Let me know if you have any more concern. Take care.