Noticed swelling on palm and pain at the base of finger. Hurts to use ice on it. What is wrong?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my left palm is swollen and the base of my fingers along the plam hurt and my ring finger hurts and hurts to bend. At night it is worse and in the morning, then as the day goes on feels a little better then hurts again real bad at night. I have tried ice pack, and used a splint last night to keep my finger from moving but still is hurtting. Right now since using the ice my left wrist is hurtting too?
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 49 minutes later
After going through the description provided by you, I feel that you might be suffering with Tendonitis and Tenosynovitis or inflammation of a tendon and tenosynovitis means inflammation of the sheath that surrounds a tendon. The main symptoms are pain, tenderness and sometimes swelling of the affected part of the tendon.

In addition to x-ray, the investigation of choice for soft tissue injuries of such sort is MRI scan which tells us the degree of damage or any degeneration of the tendon.

Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:
1. Give enough rest to your hand muscle.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your wrist and hand will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. Wrist and forearm stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.