Noticed swelling on lower lip. Took benadryl. Cause of concern?

my lower lip has suddenly begun to swell, and it has increased steadily in the last two hours. I have already taken 2 Benadryl and just took two more
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later
The swelling on your lower lip seems to be due to an allergic reaction or an insect bite in the area.
Swelling and tightness seems to be inflammatory in nature and most likely subside on taking an anti allergic like Benadryl. It will take 5-6 hours for the medicine to decrease the inflammation and swelling.
Refrain from scratching because this may cause the skin to break down and an infection to form.
You can apply 1% hydrocortisone ointment on the area for an earlier relief.
In case the swelling and pain increases then it is best to consult a dermatologist for specific treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.