Noticed swelling on lower jaw ,cheek and lips. Could it be due to body heat?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My name is XXXXXXX age 33. For the Last 2 days, my lower left jaw ,cheek and lips is being swelled up. I dont have a tooth decay problem or jaw fracture. For the last one week , daily I had chicken, is that related to body heat. I too have skin irritation problem which will be there for 10 - 15 and its fades away. Can you please specify the medicine and cause for this sudden behaviour.
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 26 minutes later
The symptoms that you have described are likely to be due to angioedema.
Angioedema is an allergic condition characterized by swelling just below the surface of the skin, usually around the lips. During an allergic reaction lots of chemical mediators of inflammation are released, histamine is one of them, which causes blood vessels to swell. The cause is unknown, but certain food and environmental conditions can trigger an attack of angioedema.
It is usually caused by an allergic reaction, to food, medication, pollen or insect stings.
It can be controlled if the preventive measures are followed; such as avoiding those things which can trigger an attack of allergy and angioedema. Some doctor suggest skin patch test (allergen test) to find the triggering allergens which can be avoided.
Right now you can start taking an antiallergic like Fexofenadine and see if this subsides in next 5-7 days.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.