Ask a Dentist   »  

Noticed swelling on lower gum. Pain occurs when pressed. Cause?

Question
Hello Doctor,
My father has noticed a slight swelling on lower- left Gum. The swelling are below number 4-5 teeth. He has noticed it from last 20 days and it doesn't pain in general but when we press it does pain.
I have attached the OPG with this query. Please let me know what might be the reason.

Thank you.

XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 43 minutes later
Dear friend,

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Swelling in the lower left Gum indicates towards infection. It could be due to two reasons.

First one being that, your father has mild gum infection, leading to formation of pocket. This requires deep pocket cleaning, called as curettage.

Second one being that,he must have decayed teeth in the lower arch,which has involved pulp and periapical tissues. Thus you see swelling there.

It is chronic in nature,that is why there is no pain.pain is felt only upon pressure application. This requires root canal treatment.

Please visit your dentist soon and get an x XXXXXXX done to confirm these findings, so that it can be treated accordingly.

Meanwhile warm saline rinses might help.

Please attach reports, as I have not received them.

Let me know for further query.

Thanks.

Follow-up: Noticed swelling on lower gum. Pain occurs when pressed. Cause? 38 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

I have uploaded the X-ray, please look into it and let me know the reason.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 1 hour later
Thanks for follow up, I still did not get the reports.

You have a feature to upload the reports/ images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that.
You can also send the reports to YYYY@YYYY with the subject 'ATTN: Dr. Anshumala XXXXXXX "

Waiting for your response.

Thank you

Follow-up: Noticed swelling on lower gum. Pain occurs when pressed. Cause? 47 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

I have forwarded the same to email id. Please check and let me know.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 2 hours later
Dear friend.

Thanks for the follow up.

THE OPG X XXXXXXX clearly shows infection in the periapical area in relation to your second premolar and first molar roots.

you can also take an intra oral periapical x XXXXXXX to view these teeth more closely.

simultaneously clinical examination will revel if first premolar is also involved or not,as x XXXXXXX shows no pathology related to it.

These teeth require re root canal after removing the bridge.
Please let me know for further query.

Thanks.