Noticed swelling on hands and having itchiness. Delivered recently. Suggested avil injection and Allergra. What to do?

My wife delivered a baby 2 weeks ago normal delivery . From yesterday seeing sudden swelling on her hands and itchiness. Her doc suggested avil injection and Allegra. It gave instant relief for a while but have come back again. She is really worried and can't sleep What to do
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 33 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Did she have any problems with her blood pressure during the pregnancy?
2. Were there any other complications?

Let me know!
Follow-up: Noticed swelling on hands and having itchiness. Delivered recently. Suggested avil injection and Allergra. What to do? 7 minutes later
No there were No major bp issues as such. She was on thyronorm 100 mcg and on glycephage to control sugar levels but no complications as such . Delivered a healthy baby by natural birth.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Thank you for the clarification.

I asked about the blood pressure issue because some women can have worsening blood pressure disase after delivery and this can manifest as swelling in the hands.

Given that she used two separate allergy related medications and DID get relief suggests that this might be some kind of allergic reaction. Since it has returned, she could either:
1. Continue the allegra daily
2. Consider benadryl 25-50mg every 6 hours as needed (considered okay with breast-feeding)
3. If this does not resolve within 24-48 hours, she should see her doctor or ask for a referral to an allergist
4. Consider going in to her doctor anyway for a blood pressure check and a check of liver and gallbladder related labs (when abnormal, hand itching MIGHT be a symptom)

I hope that this helps and congratulations on your new child!