Noticed swelling on hand, lip, chin and cheek. Temporary relief from predisone. What is going on?

Critical Care Specialist
My left hand became swollen, it stopped and then my right had became swollen it stopped. then my lip ,chin and cheeks swelled up, I took predisone and benylin and it went away. Now my right had is swollen again. What's wrong and what can I do to prevent a re-occurance?
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ghaly 19 minutes later

The symptoms you have could be due to an allergic reaction to something. If your lip is starting to swell, you should go to the ER as soon as possible because this may lead to upper airway edema and obstruction.

You can take another 50 mg of Benadryl now until you go to the ER.

Please do let me know if there are any other concerns.

I hope you get better soon.

Follow-up: Noticed swelling on hand, lip, chin and cheek. Temporary relief from predisone. What is going on? 16 hours later
I know it could be an alergic reaction but I have been tested and I am not alergic to anythoing I know of. What else could be causing this condition?
Answered by Dr. Ghaly 2 days later

Thanks for writing back.

If the allergy has been ruled out, the other possibility I could think of is a non specific inflammation due to a cause which can be made out by a physical examination.

The fact that swelling got reduced by Prednisone compels to consider both the above (Allergy or inflammatory ) most suitable possibilities. A physical examination would be essential to rule out one amongst.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.