Noticed swelling on ankles after standing for a long. Is this normal?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My husband and I have taken over a pub, after a long shift standing up I notice my ankles are a bit swollen, they go down over night though. I haven't noticed it before these long standing periods, is this normal ?
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 51 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Yes it is normal that swelling is noticed after long standing periods.
women deal with swollen ankles on a daily basis due to weight gain and water retention.

Wearing protective and supportive footwear can reduce your chances of getting swollen ankles.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.