Noticed swelling of the lips and face after angiopasty. Should I go for medical treatment?

My mother has swelling of the lips and face post her angiopasty - after 7 days. Is this common, is there are cause of concern. Do we seek medical help? She had a heart attack on Sep 15, following which an angioplasty was performed within an hour. Today morning, her lips have swollen up. She also had a stomach infection and was on O2 antibiotics that have been stopped.
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 50 minutes later

Swelling of the lips is a typical symptom seen in allergies due to medications.Most of the medications given for blood thinning post angioplasty are known to cause such allergies.

Do consult her treating doctor to get the medications revised.The condition can worsen if the offending agent is not removed.

Meanwhile do give her a dose of Benadryl which will reduce the allergy temporarily and resolve the oedema in the lips and other systems involved.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.