Noticed swelling in labia minora and started itching. No relief from benadryl. Underlying cause?

Jan 2013

sudden labia minora swellingDear MD, As I was sitting eating supper tonight, i noticed a slight itch in my vaginal area. I didnt pay it much attention because it was only a slight itch. but it began to intensify and become painful so I excused myself to the bathroom. i found that my labia minora had sollen twice their normal size. i have had several yeast infections in the past with severe itching, and it almost feels like that, however, I have had no symptoms of a yeast infection, no discharge, no urinary symptoms. this came on suddenly. i have not changed soaps, laundry detergents, lotions, or eaten anything out of the ordinary ot any food containing celery which is the only food that I know I have an allergy to. nor have I taken any Sulfa drugs or Ceclor which are my only medication allergies. thinking this must be an allergic reaction or hives from stress, I took 50 mg of Benadryl po. but after an hour, still have no relief, except maybe slight relief from the itch. none of my friends or my mother have ever had this happen. what could it be?
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 47 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of thrush or yeast infection.
Past history of yeast infections with defined suggests the diagnosis.

Do you have positive family history of diabetes?
Yeast infections are common in diabetic patients.

Although you have already defined that there is no change in life style now a days but still possibility of yeast infections are high.
Thrush is called as "Candidiasis" caused by candida albicans fungus; a normal commensal fungus in human beings.
Fungus gets proliferated with breach in immune system.
Human body has normal protective mechanism to prevent proliferation of candida albican but it gets proliferated after breech in immune system.

You should consult with dermatologist/ XXXXXXX medicine specialist and should go for through check up.
You should also go for KOH mount preparation of scrapings from labia minora.
Swelling in labia minora could be due to excessive itching.

You should apply antifungal topical ointment on labia minora.
You shouldn't apply Betadine as it is generally used for bacterial infection.

You can ask direct query on this URL:

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava