Noticed swelling in labia majora after having protected sex. Could this be a skin irritation?

Jul 2012

The right side of my labia majora along the hairline is swollen. It's slightly red and tender to the touch, but it is not itchy or painful. It's like a soft bump under the skin which has increased to about the size of a grape.
I first noticed it 4 days ago after having protected sex, so I'm wondering if it could be a skin irritation. I also regularly shave there which I have stopped now.
I'm 22 and this is the first time I've come across this problem.
Posted Wed, 10 Oct 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there XXXXXX.
I read your description of the condition & believe this is most likely a 'pseudofolliculitis' involving an 'ingrown hair' due to the shaving of the region. Understand this has never happened before but can always be a one-off..please do shave 'along the grain' & not against the hair grain. If you leave this alone, it should resolve with time. The problem is the 'sensitvity' of the area & the chance of secondary infections given the type of resident bacteria & the numerous glands in the region. I would in additon, advise to start an antibiotic & anti-iflammatory course (would prefer metronidazole 400mg & ibuprofen400mg) both taken three times/day for 5 days. Locally an application of bactroban ointment may help too.
Cheers & do hope this helps. Good luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD