Noticed swelling in ankles. Taking hydroclorize. Suggest

I have noticed lately that my ankles are abit swollen I just turned 80. I take a 1/2 of a pill of hydroclorize daily. However I drink 3 mugs of coffee in the AM daily? hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg i/2 daily

I have rather puffy veins in my legs. Maybe this is causing the swollen ankles. I am trying to give you as much info as I can
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

If the swelling is on one side, local causes like inflammation or injury; venous or lymphatic obstruction will be the priority...
     If it is on both sides, systemic causes are responsible. Heart, Lungs, Kidney and Liver are the basic reasons...Anaemia, low proteins contribute.... In these circumstances, there are other gross symptoms and signs, as pointers..
     You have given the answer yourself! The swelling is most likely from the veins / Chronic venous insufficiency is common with age / The veins drain against gravity / not pumped as in arteries; muscles help. / They have valves to prevent back flow / With age, valves get weak; help from muscles is diminished with reduced physical activity – leading to increased hydrostatic pressure, capillary leak and swelling...
     Doppler study of the leg veins will confirm / Have basic investigations like ECG and blood tests (blood counts, kidney and liver function) to rule out other causes. See your doctor...
As you say, you are really blessed, to take the least number of medicines...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck