Noticed swelling at the base of neck. Suspected for lymph node or strained trapezius muscle. Diagnosis?

Excellent
Question
Three days ago I noticed that my neck was slightly swollen on one side, just above my clavicle and near the base of my neck/shoulder area on the right side. It doesn't bother me a lot, it's a very minimal and dull pain without palpation. When I do touch/palpate the area is is extremely tender. Now the lump is growing and it feels harder. I was actually at an appointment with my family physician yesterday and she wasn't sure what it. She said it didn't appear to be my lymph nodes and thought it might be related to the torn/strained trapezius muscle that I'm having problems with. I've had a problem with that trap muscle for over three years now though and have never had this lump or pain before and cannot recall doing anything that may have injured it. Any ideas of what it could be? Should I be concerned?
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The extremely tender swelling at the base of the neck that you have noticed is likely to be due to an infection or abscess formation. Myositis can also cause the tenderness in the area.
A torn muscle is not likely to cause a suddenly appearing very painful lump. This needs a direct examination for proper diagnosis. Systemic antibiotics may be needed to control the infection.
You need to consult your physician for necessary treatment. Till then doing a hot fomentation in the affected area will be helpful in pain relief.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.