Noticed swelling and stiffness under ear and below the joint of the jaw. What to do?

I woke up this morning with a swelling under my right ear and below the joint of the right jaw. If I apply a heat compress the swelling goes down. When I open my jaw my jaw feels stiff the joint on the right feels stiff
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 2 hours later

It appears that you may have an inflamed right parotid gland in response to acute parotitis or mumps. Your description fits well to this condition.

This condition is a self healing one and will settle down by itself. You may take some pain killer like aspirin or paracetamol. As the cause is usually a virus antibiotics got no effect on this condition.

Though this appears like a typical case, I encourage you to consult your nearest doctor to examine and confirm the possibility. Yet, there is no reason to be concerned.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Kindest regards